Search This Blog

Friday, August 15, 2014

I heart papaloquelite

I
papaloquelite!!!!!


Papaloquelite, Pesto Perpetuo Basil, and Epazote in my garden.
 Papaloquelite, (or papalo) was a new herb to us this season.  We get frequent requests 
for cilantro in pots, but it's been difficult, in my experience, 
to harvest enough leaves before the plants go to seed. 

It also irks me that the cilantro is NEVER ready when the tomatoes and peppers are,
so making salsa means purchased cilantro, which for an herb grower, does NOT fly.

Enter papalo, and I'm in LOVE!!

This plant is a native of the southern United States, Mexico, and Central America.
Most people compare its flavor to a cross between cilantro, limes, and nasturtiums
with a pungency similar to arugula.
I say it puts cilantro to SHAME.

The name comes from the ancient Aztec language.  Papalotl means butterfly, 
and quelite means greens, as the scent of papaloquelite is thought to attract butterflies.
The plant is robust, and can grow to 6 feet in height.  I know mine would be that tall
had I not been harvesting several times a week.



The plant grows in a fashion similar basil, in that you can cut the stem at the point
where new leaves are forming, and the plant gets bushier.  


 When visiting my sister this weekend, I brought back a bell pepper.

 

 And some sweet corn from Iowa. (These were the ugliest of the bunch, and am currently
reading "The Third Plate" about eating not just the beautiful produce, but
all of it.)


 So, letting the seasonal veg inspire me, I made Andrea Bailey's fresh salsa.



 Andrea's Salsa

3 large or 5 small ears of sweet corn, boiled and cut from the cob
(alternately, you can use the Earthbound Organic frozen sweet corn,
which is delicious)
1/2 onion, chopped finely
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
OR
use jalapeno/ancho/poblano pepper as suits your tolerance for capsaicin
1 can black beans, rinsed
handful of papalo or cilantro, finely cut
juice of 1 lime
1 clove (or 2) of garlic, minced
2 oz olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Sprinkle with chili powder, smoked paprika, or red pepper flakes if you'd like

Serve with chips, tacos, taco salad, burritos, or just eat it straight out of
the bowl like I do.  This is the most irresistible salsa I have ever tasted!!
Thanks for turning me on to it, Mrs. Bailey :-)

Papalo is also delicious in any Asian-inspired dish that calls for cilantro, and hear it's outstanding in
combination with papaya.  Gracie's will definitely have papalo in the herb house next spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment