Search This Blog

Friday, March 1, 2019

Five Pennies Make a Nickel


How often do consider
where our trash goes after it's tossed in the 
dumpster or picked up by the garbage truck?
Shouldn't we?
Vast amounts of household waste are destined
to a landfill site somewhere off in an area that
isn't readily visible as we go about our daily lives.

 

You might not even realize it's a landfill you're driving past.
Most landfills are required to add a layer of dirt on top every day to 
obscure and prevent the garbage from blowing around.

These landfills create an anaerobic environment (lacking air) that
prevents food from rotting/deteriorating. Food can remain un-decomposed for decades.
Yes, decades.




When food in landfills decomposes without oxygen, it creates methane.
 If you don't know why cow farts are in the news,
you ought to do a little research, then connect the dots.
 


Once the landfill has been filled to capacity, it is closed.
The site must be monitored for 30 years post-closing.

What can you do?

My mom has a saying:  'Five pennies make a nickel.'

So, while you can't save the world all by yourself, you can make small gestures
that will add up in the long run.  Ditch the plastic wrap and go Abeego!

These wraps are made with beeswax, tree resin, organic jojoba oil infused into 
a hemp and organic cotton cloth.

Use them, then wash in COLD water with dish soap.
Use them over and over, each wrap lasts a year or longer.
When they finally wear out, toss them in your compost pile.
 




Use them for fruits, vegetables, and cheese....


cover your leftovers and
wrap your sandwich for lunch.


I first spied them in a shop a few months ago in a shop in a small
town in Iowa (not some big-city trend-setting shop).

I've been using these at home and definitely see that
these wraps increase the shelf life of my food in the fridge.
AND I'm not composting as much as I used to (or, if I were to be honest,
I'm not wasting as much as I used to.)

Less food wasted = more bang for my buck at the grocery store. 
Another way that
five pennies make a nickel

Seems I'm not the only one:


This was a post from a young friend of mine from my hometown.
Thankfully, the younger generations are discovering
a better way to preserve food, the environment, and their money.



 These wraps are
 Reusable | Antibacterial | Breathable | Plastic Free | Compostable
 
Just this one time, I decided to bring something in to Gracie's Plant Works 
that is also available on Amazon.com.
But, you can buy them for less money locally, and at the same time
reduce the carbon footprint of delivery.
 
Five pennies DO make a nickel,
and every little bit helps in one way or the other,
sometimes in many ways.
 




3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking of you, Kathy & your blog last night when I posted in mine. Great piece -- thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting us know about this option and for making these available. I'll be in to buy some. What an excellent idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete